LEAVE A COMMENT

December 31, 2013.

This blog is now closed. After three years and 311 posts, I have decided to end this blog. I have enjoyed watching the films, reviewing them, and interacting with global readers.

If you are interested in contacting me, you can do so by commenting on any of the posts. The blog will remain live on the web.
Thank you to all the readers for your comments, ideas, and thoughts. They were helpful, stimulating, and enriching. This is Alene, signing off.

July 5, 2011

I Am You (aka: In Her Skin - Australia - 2009)

When it’s over, this small Australian film made me think deeper into the issues of mental illness and its potential consequences when left ignored.  I Am You is based on a true story about a teenage girl who is murdered by her childhood babysitter, Caroline, played by Ruth Bradley.  The film addresses the issue of self image and how wanting desperately to look “good” can drive one to extreme behaviours.  It’s a tragic and sad story for all the characters – from the grieving parents (played by Guy Pierce and Miranda Otto), to the boyfriend, and ultimately to Caroline, who is so mentally disturbed that she doesn’t understand what she has done.   There were great performances throughout, especially by Ruth Bradley, who managed to make a sinister character into one I ended up feeling sorry for.   What I will remember most about this film is the lengthy murder scene.  It’s one of the most disturbing scenes I’ve seen in recent times. 

My rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment